The Refugee Festival Scotland Media Awards (#RefugeeFestScot) honour the work of journalists covering refugee and asylum issues. The awards celebrate coverage that is fair and responsible and that contributes to greater public understanding of issues around forced migration in Scotland. The awards are co-ordinated by Scottish Refugee Council in partnership with the National Union of Journalists and the British Red Cross.
Journalists are invited to enter their own work or nominate the work of colleagues by submitting an example for consideration. Members of the public are also welcome to nominate work they consider to be outstanding.
Journalists can enter one piece of work per category (see categories below). You may submit different entries for different categories if applicable.
News (written word)
Written news report, published in print or online.
News report broadcast on TV, radio or online.
Written feature story published in print or online.
TV, film, radio podcast entries up to 120 minutes
Print, online or broadcast entries from Scottish local media outlets.
An outstanding piece of investigative journalism. Entries can be print, broadcast, online or multimedia and may be a single report or a number of items covering the same story.
Student entries must have been published or broadcast (including student journals / student websites).
- Entries must have been published or broadcast between 1 April 2018 and 31 March 2019.
- The award is open to journalists working in Scotland, in print, broadcast or digital media.
- Submissions can be drawn from Scottish print, broadcast or digital media.
- Journalists working for a named employer, working freelance or contributing voluntarily to a media outlet must have produced the submission.
- Entries must be received by 5pm on 15 May 2019.
Scottish Refugee Council will create an initial longlist of entries for each category. These will then be judged by a panel drawn from the NUJ, British Red Cross, Scottish Refugee Council, representatives from refugee communities in Scotland and others with expertise in forced migration.
Judges are looking for work that:
- Displays depth of understanding and insight into issues related to forced migration.
- Is honest, accurate and well researched.
- Gives voice to the refugee experience and/ or to individuals from refugee communities.
- Has the potential for powerful impact on audiences.
- Contributes to a wider cultural understanding of the refugee experience and understanding of asylum as a human rights issue.
- Promotes the highest standards of responsible use of language and representation of refugee issues.
The judges’ decision is final. Judges will not enter into any correspondence regarding the judging of the competition.
How to enter
Step 1: Download and complete the entry form: Media Awards 2018 entry form.
Step 2: Email the entry form along with your submission to MediaAwards@scottishrefugeecouncil.org.uk.
Or send by post to Media Awards, Scottish Refugee Council, 17 Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 7PH.
Please send submissions in the following formats; PDF, JPG, MP3 or MP4, DVD or CD. Please only send URLs when there is no other option.
Closing date for entries is 5pm 15 May 2019
For further information about the awards please contact MediaAwards@scottishrefugeecouncil.org.uk | 0141 248 9799.